Blog 01: Composition

Blog 01: Composition

Introduction

Welcome to Claire's Blog! My name is Claire Price and I am a sophomore at High Point University. I will be using this blog to post for my COM-1113 Graphic Software Packages course this semester! 

Our first assignment focuses on composition in photography and learning to "work the shot".  For this assignment, I used my Nikon D5200.

Choosing a Theme

When choosing my theme I knew I wanted it to be based on something I do every day. When brainstorming ideas I realized I could photograph the fountains I walk by every morning on the way to my classes. I first chose the spinning globe fountain in front of Cottrell, followed by the fountain adjacent to the Wanek Center

Symmetry and Patterns


I really wanted to try to capture the symmetry of the lines on the globe with the front entrance of Cottrell. The symmetry of the photo really makes the globe stand out in the photo. I also sink the reflection of the sky and the beginning of the sunset puts even more emphasis on the photo. I definitely could have tried to center the globe more by just moving over a foot, but I still think that this photo captures symmetry very well.


Viewpoint

The next composition technique I chose was viewpoint. I believe that viewpoint composition is important when it comes to imagery because it really gives you a feel for the photograph. The photo almost looks as if you are in the fountain and the water is spooing out above you. I really enjoy that the water is still and the fountains are in motion, it truly makes it look like you're there.

Cropping


I wanted a photo that only focused on the globe, the ones I took zoomed showed too much motion in the water. The pictures I took of the full globe showed less noise, so I cropped the image. The sky reflecting on the globe really compliments the picture. Cropping the image put a lot of focus on the globe, which is what I wanted the image to portray.

Three Final Photos






Final Thoughts

I really enjoyed the first assignment! I love to take pictures on my camera but I have never used it for any assignment. I really look forward to see what my next projects will look like.





Comments